April 5, 2019
Dear Burr Families,
STEAM Night was awesome - as it always is. A special thank you to Kerry Gilhuly and Christine Paradis for organizing it and for the Burr staff who helped run stations. I have included some photos below.
This past Wednesday was National Paraprofessionals Day. Paraprofessionals are incredibly hard working and dedicated professionals who do so much for the students at Burr. The school couldn't run effectively without them. If you see one of these special individuals while at Burr, please be sure to thank them. They deserve it.
Burr staff will be beginning class placement for 2019-2020 during the month of May. If you have information to share about your child and their class placement for next year, you are welcome to write me a letter or e-mail. Letters are due by Friday, May 3rd. Some reminders about this process:
- Please do not request a specific teacher. We are not able to honor any direct requests.
- If there is a friend that you want your child placed with, please let me know. We will do our best. We are not able to honor multiple friend requests. Also, while students are disappointed when they are not placed with friends, the staff at Burr feel that this is a learning experience and gives students the opportunity to make new friends.
- If there is a student that you do not wish your child placed with, please let me know. We will honor these requests only if there is a past history of documented problems between your child and this child.
- Please feel free to share information about your child in your letter/email. This could include their learning style, learning strengths, and needs. Any insight you can give us into how your child learns best would be greatly appreciated.
Have a wonderful weekend!
We have begun preparation for rolling out Dismissal Manager. Dismissal Manager is an online program that will take the place of writing a note for your child's dismissal.There may be some hiccups as we get used to this program and understand all of its capabilities. We thank you in advance for your patience. I think you will really like using it. Some reminders:
- We won't start using it until Monday, April 22nd. Until then, please continue to use notes/e-mails - like you have done previously.
- Please make sure to set your child's dismissal default by Friday, April 12th.
- Emails with set up directions have been e-mailed to all families. If you can't find this e-mail, please make sure to check junk mail, and also be sure to check all the e-mail addresses that you have listed in Infinite Campus. Your primary email address should have received the email.
- If you want to set up your account or use dismissal manager on your phone, please download the app (and use the app.) If you try to use your browser, Dismissal Manager won't work properly.
Burr has begun SBA (Smarter Balanced Assessment) testing. This is an assessment given to all third, fourth, and fifth grade students statewide. A few quick reminders: 1) We highly encourage all students to take the test. Our participation rate is important to how our school is judged by the State of CT, and the SBA gives us valuable and actionable data on how our students are performing within our curriculum. It is a challenging test, but a good test, and we value the results. 2) Please make sure your child is in school, on time, during the weeks their grade is assessed. I have included the schedule below. 3) Encourage your child to try their best and have confidence that they can do well. (They can!) 4) Like every morning, make sure your child eats a healthy breakfast and has a good night's sleep.
April 8 - 12 - Grade 4 - Language Arts
April 23-26 - Grade 3 Language Arts
April 29 - May 3 - Grade 4 Math
May 6 - 10 - Grade 3 Math
May 13 - 15 - Grade 5 Math
May 20 - 21 - Grade 5 Science
|A WEEK AT A GLANCE:||STEAM NIGHT!|
Spring Vacation - April 15-19
Kindergarten Orientation - May 9th (More information to follow soon.)