April 12, 2019
Dear Burr Families,
We are looking for parent volunteers for Third Grade Literary Lunch Bunches during the month of May. Literary Lunch Bunches are fun book clubs that occur during students' lunch period - which is 12:35-1:05. Clubs meet once per week, and you have the opportunity to facilitate a book discussion with students each week on a part of the book. It's a lot of fun, students are very enthusiastic, and it's a great opportunity to spend time talking about books! if you are interested, please let me know by Monday, April 29th.
On behalf of all the staff at Burr, our best for a wonderful vacation week! Whether you travel far away or stay at home, we hope your days are filled with family, friends, and fun.
If you have information to share about your child and their class placement for next year, you are welcome to write me a letter or e-mail. Letters are due by Friday, May 3rd. Some reminders about this process:
- Please do not request a specific teacher. We are not able to honor any direct requests.
- If there is a friend that you want your child placed with, please let me know. We will do our best. We are not able to honor multiple friend requests. Also, while students are disappointed when they are not placed with friends, the staff at Burr feel that this is a learning experience and gives students the opportunity to make new friends.
- If there is a student that you do not wish your child placed with, please let me know. We will honor these requests only if there is a past history of documented problems between your child and this child.
- Please feel free to share information about your child in your letter/email. This could include their learning style, learning strengths, and needs. Any insight you can give us into how your child learns best would be greatly appreciated.
We are continuing preparations for rolling out Dismissal Manager. Dismissal Manager is an online program that will take the place of writing a note for your child's dismissal.There may be some hiccups as we get used to this program and understand all of its capabilities. We thank you in advance for your patience. I think you will really like using it. Some reminders:
- We will start using Dismissal Manager on Monday, April 22nd. Until then, please continue to use notes/e-mails - like you have done previously.
- Please make sure to set your child's dismissal default by Friday, April 12th (today.)
- Emails with set up directions have been e-mailed to all families. If you can't find this e-mail, please make sure to check junk mail, and also be sure to check all the e-mail addresses that you have listed in Infinite Campus. Your primary email address should have received the email.
- If you want to set up your account or use dismissal manager on your phone, please download the app (and use the app.) If you try to use your browser, Dismissal Manager won't work properly.
Burr continues SBA (Smarter Balanced Assessment) testing. This is an assessment given to all third, fourth, and fifth grade students statewide. A few quick reminders: 1) We highly encourage all students to take the test. Our participation rate is important to how our school is judged by the State of CT, and the SBA gives us valuable and actionable data on how our students are performing within our curriculum. It is a challenging test, but a good test, and we value the results. 2) Please make sure your child is in school, on time, during the weeks their grade is assessed. I have included the schedule below. 3) Encourage your child to try their best and have confidence that they can do well. (They can!) 4) Like every morning, make sure your child eats a healthy breakfast and has a good night's sleep.
April 23-26 - Grade 3 Language Arts
April 29 - May 3 - Grade 4 Math
May 6 - 10 - Grade 3 Math
May 13 - 15 - Grade 5 Math
May 20 - 21 - Grade 5 Science
Kindergarten Orientation - May 9th 1:00-2:00
Principal's Coffee - Transitioning to Middle School (with staff from Tomlinson) - May 15th at 10:00
Middle School Transition Dates
- May 1-8 - Students/parents select music and WL on IC.
- Special Education Parent Coffee - May 3 - 9:30-10:30
- Parent Orientation - May 29 - 6:30-8:00
- Student Orientation - May 29 - During school day